Today I’m releasing the fourth episode of my new podcast, Wandering, with Thenuka! The theme of the podcast is to have conversations with people that have charted unconventional life paths.
My third guest is Shari Hughson, the COO of Wayfound Mental Health Group, which is her fifth company. Prior to that, she was a Partner at Canada’s largest integrated community health network (CBI Health Group, 12,000 employees) which she exited successfully. She also spent 7 years living with various tribes and groups across Central America, Africa, and North America, and also built her own Earthship in Ontario.
In this conversation, we talk about:
- Shari’s journey from successfully exiting her first company, to going bankrupt in the process of trying to start her next two companies.
- Self-sabotage and the impact that childhood conditioning had on the way she built businesses.
- Shedding that parts of that conditioning and going on to run Canada’s largest integrated community health network, CBI Health Group (12,000 employees).
- Taking a detour from the business world for 7 years to live off the land, learning from tribes in Central America, Africa, and other places around the world.
- Shari’s experience building an Earthship and “living the evolution of civilization”.
- The importance of getting back to just “being OK” even in the most difficult of times.
- + a ton more!
Here’s our our 1+ hour-long conversation. To get a feel for the content, I’ve copied the timestamps for the full conversation below as well.
- 0:00 – Intro, Shari’s backstory + summary of what we get into later!
- 5:23 – Being a successful entrepreneur, going bankrupt, and self-sabotage *
- 15:45 – Recovery, learning from failure and rebounding to succeed
- 22:30 – Selling a 12,000 employee company, figuring out what’s next
- 27:04 – Challenging oneself, doing something that makes you uncomfortable each day *
- 31:18 – Living with indigenous tribes, “living the evolution of civilization”
- 51:35 – Transferring learnings from living in the bush, into the classroom
- 56:34 – Wandering, doing crazy things, learning things you didn’t expect to learn *
- 1:03:32 – Mental health and Shari’s new startup
- 1:07:30 – Being OK no matter what is happening around you*
If you’d like to skip ahead to some of the more interesting clips, I’ve curated 4 specific ones below as well!
Going from successful startup founder to being bankrupt – what is it like?
Challenging oneself, doing something that makes you uncomfortable each day
Wandering, doing crazy things, learning things you didn’t expect to learn
Like what you’re reading? Consider subscribing to my newsletter! You’ll be notified whenever I release a new post.